Apr 11, 2011

ODI record a bonus for Watson

It wasn't until he walked off the ground that opener Shane Watson started pondering whether he had broken Australia's one-day international cricket scoring record with his unbeaten 185.

Watson's 96-ball stay in Monday's nine-wicket thrashing of Bangladesh in Dhaka also included the most sixes ever hit by a player in a single innings (15) and the highest proportion of a team total, in Australia's 1-232.

Watson only three months ago hit what is now the sixth-highest score by an Australian, 161 not out against England at the MCG.

Advertisement: Story continues below
But he said he had not thought about trying to break Matthew Hayden's previous record mark of 181 not out, set against New Zealand in 2007, or even been sure exactly what score he needed to do it.

"As I walked off, I thought I was close to Matt Hayden," Watson said.

"I actually played in the game and got 60 in the game that Matt Hayden got 180-something, I'm not sure what number it is exactly.

"I'm not out there to break records or anything like that, just to execute what I did.

"It was nice that everything came off for me, it's just a nice bonus that I'm able to have those (records) that come out of an innings when I finish."

Watson said his spectacular hitting spree was inspired by tiredness, as he wanted to minimise running in the sapping Dhaka heat and humidity, particularly near the end.

His haul of 15 sixes included four in a row in one over from Suhrawadi Shuvo and three in an over off another left-arm spinner Abdur Razzak, although he also handed out plenty of punishment to the quick bowlers.

The new vice-captain's huge score made a nice double, after new captain Michael Clarke scored a century in Saturday's first match of what is their first series as Australia's leadership duo.

The last game of the series is a day-nighter on Wednesday.
Via

No comments:

Post a Comment